“…the biggest
issue that I had with my father growing up was that he put so much energy into
anyone who would go to his services or write to him. He paid a lot of attention
to strangers and people who thought he was perfect. He had religious fans.”
That quote really hit home just now…the perspective of
another kid of a preacher man. It’s almost like there is a larger than life,
rock star type quality to pastors. They’re cool in their religious circle. It’s
pretty hard not to see them as better than they really are. The flock thinks, “What
a great man.” But, the kids actually live with the man and see the truth. He’s
human.
I remember always having this confusion about my dad. I’d see
him speak to captive audiences about Jesus. He’d get applause. And laughs. And,
while part of me wanted to believe that the myth and the man were the same (that
is the greatness people saw on the outside actually equated to greatness on the
inside), most of me knew that he was a broken man who was uncomfortable for me
to be around.
I had a hard time liking him, but that was not easy to be
honest about as a kid, especially when all I seemed to hear from his religious
fans were compliments. Years later, I heard negative things said about my dad
and it was strangely comforting.
Of course nobody is going to talk shit on my dad to his kids.
But, as an adult I’ve heard of strained relationships people had with my dad and
difficulties in dealing with him and it’s been kind of cathartic. Stories of
him being imperfect helped me see that I wasn’t crazy. Other people felt those
same uncomfortable feelings I grew up with.
The author of the quote above had a similar experience to
mine. And she went so far as to call her dad’s followers “fans.” It becomes
this unhealthy hero-worship type thing where pastors get their ego stroked and
spend time with their followers who tell them how great they are, but often the
pastor’s own kids get ignored in the process.
The Lord’s work is the important thing. Tending to the flock.
But, when your kids are uncomfortable in your home and grow up to be adults
with deep issues, was it worth it? It felt good to save some souls and be told
what a great Christian leader you are at the time, but how was your life any
less shallow than a rock star who is constantly on tour and makes his kids feel
abandoned?
It’s even worse for the kids of the rock stars of the
Christian world, the pastors, because it feels really shitty to question
things. We’re expected to make sacrifices, because there’s nothing more
important than our dad’s job. But, the dad’s primary job shouldn’t be ministry,
it should be parenting.
And I’m sure there are a lot of other preacher’s kids like me
who watched their dad love his followers well and wonder what the fuck is wrong
with me? Why is my dad so good at loving other people’s kids, but he can’t make
me feel loved?
On one hand, that’s some shit, but on the other hand, it made
me find out for myself what’s great about me. My dad’s face wasn’t a mirror to
help me see my greatness. I couldn’t see him delight in me the way a father
should. But, it’s been really gratifying to feel that outside of his influence.
I haven’t really talked to my dad in two years. In that time, I’ve had a chance
to grow up a little.
And I think the thing that gives me the most pride in my life
on my own is the laughter of my children, knowing that they can just be kids and that they feel safe and
comfortable with me. I am their home. We don’t have a lot of stuff or a house
or a pretty Christmas card, but I wouldn’t trade any of that for the feeling I
get when I know that they know that I think they’re incredible. It’s the most
natural thing in the world to make my kids feel loved and cared for. It's my job. And there’s
healing and re-parenting that goes on as I love my kids. They’re the only fans
I need. It’s really humbling to know they adore me, as it’s taken me most of my
life to learn to accept compliments or adore myself.
Great insights Matt. I had no idea that you're father was a pastor. Anyway, as a Pastor myself, and a father of six children, I resonate with what you're saying. At times, it does feel like you put on a show for everyone else while you're only really yourself when your at home. I've been there done that but I'm more intentional about not doing that. Anyway, thanks for the reminders as I don't want "fans" primarily but the love of my family first and foremost.
ReplyDeletejust now noticed this note jeff. thanks for the comments. it's hard shit. but, making sure your kids know you're their biggest fan now hopefully will save them the stuff that i'm still battling in my golden years. :) time was always the thing that fucked with me the most. i felt like my dad clocked in and out of time with me so that he could go and do the truly important stuff. it's cool to me that you're aware of the issue and want to get it right. i think i was given a gift in life by getting to find out who I am not only outside of my dad's shadow, but also outside of the things that usually define us...church, job and marriage. i lost all 3, but gained a greater sense of who i am. i feel really lucky to have that. pastors have it tough in that sense, because you'll always have people thinking you're better than you are and i think it's hard to not believe it after hearing it enough. but, we're all the same, right? human. broken. effed up. if you left your church tomorrow and became a waiter and no longer had the respect and the praise of your followers to encourage you...what would that feel like compared to how you think of yourself and feel about yourself now? i think a lot of pastors would have a really hard time adjusting to life without "fans". most of them are in it for life and never get the chance to experience life outside their bubble. i wish there was such a thing as a church that was in between the kind of church i grew up going to and the corner bar. more real. nobody is trying to look good. or better yet, a place where it's cool to be a mess, instead of the standard church thing of having to look like you have it all together. cut the shit, man...you don't. and that's okay. safe. home. real. no titles. no bullshit. a space where it's the norm to be fucked up, but working on it.
ReplyDelete